Australia


Australia’s Nine to merge with Fairfax Media

Commercial TV network Nine Entertainment this morning confirmed it had agreed a merger deal with one of Australia’s most venerable legacy media companies, Fairfax Media. The deal will see Nine take a controlling 51.1% stake in Fairfax, and will create a company with a combined market value of $4.2bn. The company will take the Nine […]

Former Sky chief Sam Chisholm dies aged 78

Former Sky chief executive Sam Chisholm has died after a short illness. Chisholm, who was 78, helmed Sky from 1989 until 1997, overseeing its merger with rival British Satellite Broadcasting to form BSkyB. Chisholm, known for his ruthlessness as an executive as well as discreet personal generosity, played a major role in ensuring Sky’s survival […]

SVOD service Stan secures Lionsgate and Starz programming

Australian streamer Stan and Lionsgate have a new licensing agreement that will bring a robust slate of upcoming Starz original series and hundreds of hours of additional Lionsgate and Starz premium programming to the service. With the move, Stan becomes the Australian home of Starz Originals. The agreement marks the latest step in the continued […]

Discovery appoints Australia and New Zealand boss

Discovery has appointed Rebecca Kent as general manager, Australia and New Zealand, following a nine-month stint doing the job as acting general manager. Kent will focus on growing Discovery’s existing business in the region, which consists of eight channels in Australia and six channels in New Zealand.  She will report to James Gibbons, executive vice president, general manager UK, Australia and […]

CBS completes acquisition of Australia’s Network Ten

CBS Networks has completed its acquisition of Australian commercial broadcaster Network Ten. The deal puts the US media giant in control of core linear channel Ten, as well as digital terrestrial television (DT) channel Eleven, which CBS already had a stake in. Other Network Ten assets covered by the transaction are the DTT channel One […]

Netflix and ABC conspire to create thriller

Netflix and Australian public broadcaster the ABC are working together again, this time on a short-run political conspiracy drama. The pair has commissioned Banijay Group-owned Screentime to produce the six-part Pine Gap, with Greg Haddrick attached as showrunner. Netflix will take exclusive worldwide SVOD rights, with the ABC taking Australia. The South Australian Film Corporation […]

CBS acquires Australia’s Network Ten

US broadcaster CBS is to acquire Australia’s Network Ten after agreeing to convert large debts Ten owed into an equity stake. The deal was announced yesterday to a positive response among many Australian producers, with Screen Producers Australia CEO, Matthew Deaner, commenting that CBS’s move “demonstrates that despite significant pressures, our market remains robust and competitive”. “It […]

Foxtel merging Fox Sports in Australia

Australia’s leading pay TV platform, Foxtel, is merging with its News Corp cousin Fox Sports Australia to create a new regional powerhouse. The move will see Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp becoming 65% majority shareholder of the new business, with Australia telecommunications business retaining the other 35%.
Currently News Corp and Telstra each own 50% of Foxtel, […]

CBS ‘claiming A$843m debts from Network Ten’

CBS Studios International (CBSSI) is reportedly claiming A$843 million (€562 million) in debts from troubled Australian channel Network Ten. Various reports claim the international sales arm of US broadcaster CBS is the largest creditor of Ten, which is currently in administration. CBSSI has made the claim to Ten’s administrators, which are currently looking at either […]

Ten secures A$30m loan to keep afloat

Australia’s Network Ten has secured its immediate future after key shareholders agreed to fund an A$30 million (€20 million) loan. The funding package is available until August 31 and comes ahead of either a company sale or a recapitalisation process. Lachlan Murdoch, Bruce Gordon and James Packer agreed to support the package, which buys Ten […]