eMarketer: video viewing to see UK smartphone use surpass PCs

Video viewing will help smartphones to pass computers for the first time this year as the preferred way for UK adults to access the web, according to eMarketer. The research firm said that adults will spend one hour 59 minutes a day on their smartphone in 2017, compared to one hour 58 minutes for desktop […]

Accenture: TV viewing more popular on non-TV devices

More people now prefer to watch TV shows on internet connected devices than on traditional TV sets, according to new research by Accenture. The company’s Digital Consumer Survey found that the percentage of consumers who said they prefer watching TV shows on television sets plummeted by 55% over the past year – from 52% to […]

Nielsen: US adults’ news consumption up 18% in 2016

US adults spent 72.5 billion minutes consuming news in the average week in 2016, an 18% increase from the prior year, according to Nielsen. The research firm found that the biggest increase came from national cable news networks, with weekly gross minutes of news consumption reaching 27.1 billion last year, compared to 18.8 billion in 2015. […]

Gartner: global PC shipments drop by 10%

Global PC shipments dropped by 9.6% year-on-year in the first quarter of 2016, with the move to HD TV impacting sales in some European markets, according to Gartner. The research firm said that worldwide PC shipments totalled 64.8 million units in Q1, marking the sixth consecutive quarter of PC shipment declines and the first time […]

More viewers connect PCs to TVs in Europe than US

Among broadband households, there is higher adoption of PC-to-TV connections in Europe than in the US, according to new research by Parks Associates.  Parks claims that 54% of Spanish broadband homes and 38% of UK and German broadband households have a PC connected to the TV, compared to 32% in the US. Parks also noted […]

BBC iPlayer requests up 6% in May

Programme requests to the BBC’s catch-up service, the iPlayer, were up 6% year-on-year in May, reaching 273 million – more than at any point in 2013.  Announcing the internal figures in its monthly iPlayer performance pack, the BBC said that 202 million of the 273 million requests were for TV shows, stable month-on-month, while the […]

TV to succeed PC as top online video platform

TV is on track to succeed the PC as the top platform for watching online video in the US, with TV viewing habits increasing as PC viewership declines, according to new research by Parks Associates. The research firm claims that in the first quarter of this year, US broadband users watched roughly three hours per […]

UK TV viewing still 98.5% done on traditional sets

A massive 98.5% of UK TV viewing was done on a traditional TV set last year, with viewing on devices such as tablets, smartphones and PCs accounting for only the remaining 1.5%, according to new stats. The research, by UK commercial TV marketing body Thinkbox and linear TV measurement firm BARB, claimed that the viewing […]