RTL-owned multi-channel network Broadband TV has launched a new business division that will build original games and mobile apps.
BBTV Interactive will create multi-platform games and apps to connect digital talent with their fans, in a move that is designed to expand revenue streams and was announced at CES in Las Vegas.
“We’re placing an emphasis on building mobile games that are truly broadcastable,” said Lewis Ball, vice-president interactive, e-commerce and professional services at BroadbandTV.
“We’re in a unique position as we already work with top digital talent that each have large highly engaged audiences allowing us to directly market the apps to targeted consumers.”
Ball described the move as a “significant opportunity” and it is one that builds on a number of previous app developments by Broadband TV.
The company made a mobile game for Spanish YouTuber Fernanfloo that was downloaded by more than 9.5 million iOS and Android users, and is due to launch its latest game, Squad Rivals, as a closed beta trial later this month.
Broadband TV said it has been committed to further expanding revenue streams with its monetisation strategy now spanning ad- and subscription-supported video-on-demand, mobile apps, e-commerce, and licensing.
The Vancouver-based company claims to be the third largest video property globally after Google and Facebook with 34 billion views per month and 285 million unique viewers. Its total annual viewership increased 66% from 2016 to 2017 to reach 341.4 billion.
Broadband TV is 51% owned by RTL Group, however the German media giant said last year that it would not exercise its call option to acquire the remaining 49% of the company and had instead decided to explore “all strategic alternatives” for Broadband TV together with minority shareholders.
ICYMI: Mediaset: no last-minute resolution to Vivendi dispute digitaltveurope.com/2021/04/16/med…
16 April 2021 @ 20:02:00 UTC
ICYMI: Amazon Prime at 200 million subscribers digitaltveurope.com/2021/04/16/ama… https://t.co/inpIBZ0Kkn
16 April 2021 @ 19:00:00 UTC
Orange France launches mesh Wi-Fi repeater digitaltveurope.com/2021/04/16/ora… https://t.co/6nY9CVh3sy
16 April 2021 @ 17:30:00 UTC