Charter price increases see customers migrate to cheaper PayTV packages

Charter Communications, the second largest cable provider in the US, shed 211,000 residential video customers in Q3 2022. Overall, the company’s customer base in this segment is now 14.64 million, down 4.2% year on year. The decline is part of a general pattern in cable – though it has been exacerbated by recent price increases. […]

Charter and Comcast to develop Roku-rivalling streaming devices in 50/50 JV

US cable giants Charter and Comcast (parent company of NBCUniversal and Sky) have announced a partnership to co-develop a new generation of streaming devices. The move is a direct attempt from the pair to upend the streaming device market which, in the US, is dominated by the likes of Google, Amazon and Roku. The partnership […]

Charter agrees deal to buy up to 6m Arris shares

Arris has agreed a deal with Charter that gives the US operator the option to buy up to 6 million Arris ordinary shares. The warrant and registration rights deal will allow Charter to buy shares in three tranches based on the amount of goods and services it buys from Arris. The terms of the deal, […]

Charter’s US$78bn TWC takeover gets greenlight

One of US cable’s biggest-ever merger is set to go ahead after the antitrust regulators okayed Charter Communication’s US$78 billion takeover of Time Warner Cable. The Department of Justice said it had permitted the deal, and Charter’s related US$10.4 billion acquisition of Bright House Networks from Advance/Newhouse Partnership, with conditions. Comcast was stopped from buying […]

Arris and Charter buy ActiveVideo for US$135 million

Arris and Charter Communications have established a joint venture to buy cloud TV specialist ActiveVideo for roughly US$135 million (€127 million).  Arris will own 65% of the joint venture company and will be the sales channel for ActiveVideo’s CloudTV software platform, with Charter holding the other 35%. ActiveVideo’s CloudTV platform is designed to let service […]

Comcast, Charter name cable spin-off GreatLand

Comcast Communications has unveiled the name of the spin-off cable company it is creating in order to sooth regulatory concerns over its deal to buy Time Warner Cable. Seeking regulatory approval, Comcast agreed to make concessions before it bought TWC. The cable firm subsequently announced it would launch a joint venture with Charter Communications, which […]

Pace appoints new international president to oversee EMEA

Set-top provider Pace has appointed former Comcast, Charter and Bell Atlantic executive Jim Henderson as president of its Pace International business unit. Henderson replaces Shane McCarthy with immediate effect and takes responsibility for Pace’s business in the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) and Asia Pacific (APAC) regions. The firm said that as regional president, […]