Australia’s leading pay TV platform, Foxtel, is merging with its News Corp cousin Fox Sports Australia to create a new regional powerhouse.
The move will see Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp becoming 65% majority shareholder of the new business, with Australia telecommunications business retaining the other 35%. Currently News Corp and Telstra each own 50% of Foxtel, with Fox Sports a wholly owned News Corp business.
Foxtel is unusual with the Murdoch family global media empire in that it was the only television asset to remain withNews Corp when operations were split into distinct entertainment and publishing companies in June 2013.
News Corp plans to appoint a new chairman for the enlarged Australian pay TV business, which will enjoy a near monopoly in the five major cities.
News Corp will also choose a majority of the other board members, with Telstra selecting the remainder.
The deal would “align ownership and management for success at a time when more Australians are consuming premium content across more technologies and platforms than ever before”, News Corp said in a press statement.
Further to that, News Corp sees theownership change as leading to more investment in “Australian written, produced and directed programming”; delivering “new and innovative products and packages across devices and platforms”; continued investment in premium content; and as “expanding distribution channels for the sale of Foxtel and Fox Sports products”.
News Corp also sees “greater operating efficiencies across the combined businesses, including distribution” – suggesting some redundancies may follow.
Telstra has long been considering its stake in Foxtel, with reports from more than 18 months ago noting it was concerned by the arrival of Netflix and other over-the-top players in the Australian television market.
The deal, financial terms of which were not disclosed, is subject to regulatory reviews and a number of other closing conditions.
It is due to complete in the first half of 2018.
DTVE: the week in view – Move over Succession, Zee’s true life media drama is even more compelling… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
17 October 2021 @ 19:36:00 UTC
Vewd and Vestel partner for SaaS-based operator TV digitaltveurope.com/2021/10/15/vew… https://t.co/c3NA0zTcgg
17 October 2021 @ 18:00:00 UTC
DTVE launches Summer Industry Survey 2021 digitaltveurope.com/2021/10/15/dtv…
17 October 2021 @ 14:00:00 UTC
ICYMI: Smart TV market continuing to grow in Germany digitaltveurope.com/2021/10/15/sma… https://t.co/15wOQcvIUM
16 October 2021 @ 18:00:01 UTC