Arris will own 65% of the joint venture company and will be the sales channel for ActiveVideo’s CloudTV software platform, with Charter holding the other 35%.
ActiveVideo’s CloudTV platform is designed to let service providers, content aggregators, and consumer electronics manufacturers quickly deploy new services by virtualising consumer premises equipment functions in the cloud.
CloudTV can be used to deliver user interfaces, online content, and interactive advertising to set-top boxes and connected devices and already powers Charter’s new cloud-based Spectrum Guide.
ActiveVideo’s other partners include Cablevision, Liberty Global, Deutsche Telekom, Time Warner Cable, J:COM and Roku.
“This joint venture signifies Arris’ continued investment in advanced software solutions that will create value across the entire video ecosystem,” said Bob Stanzione, Arris chairman and CEO.”
“Arris and Charter are paving the way for an all IP network migration and enabling the software-defined TV experience that will deliver the unified, next-gen content experiences that today’s consumers demand.”
Tom Rutledge, president and CEO of Charter Communications, added: “ActiveVideo’s CloudTV platform is one of the enabling technologies behind Spectrum Guide. We have worked very closely with ActiveVideo on the development of this technology, and now, as a 35% shareholder, are uniquely positioned to support the continued innovation and marketplace adoption of ActiveVideo’s solutions.
“Today’s announcement extends Charter’s long-standing relationship with Arris, which continues to be a key provider of both infrastructure and consumer premises equipment.”
The deal is expected to close in the second quarter, subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approval.
ICYMI: APAC pay TV revenues to fall by US$1 billion over next five years digitaltveurope.com/2021/03/01/apa… https://t.co/DVtBERM187
01 March 2021 @ 20:00:01 UTC
ICYMI: North American OTT market to double in revenue by 2026 digitaltveurope.com/2021/03/01/nor… https://t.co/uwCF2fmpwZ
01 March 2021 @ 19:00:02 UTC
ATSC gives Recommended Practice status to Immersion Corporation’s haptics proposal digitaltveurope.com/2021/03/01/ats… https://t.co/OtcNEq3DIy
01 March 2021 @ 17:00:02 UTC
Wowza Media Systems integrates DRM-as-a-service from EZDRM digitaltveurope.com/2021/03/01/wow…
01 March 2021 @ 16:00:02 UTC