Broadcast Now yesterday reported a deal had been agreed in principle last week and was formalised on Monday (April 14). This would see pay TV giant take a 70% stake and UK paycaster Sky take the other 30%.
However, a spokeswoman for Northern & Shell, Channel 5’s owner, said: “We have a number of bids as expected, which we will evaluate with our advisors over the next few days. Certainly no deal has been done.”
The statement contradicts the general consensus of market watchers at MIPTV last week, a number of whom told DTVE sister title TBI that Discovery and Sky’s bid was the standout offer and set to be taken forward by Channel 5′s owner Richard Desmond.
Northern & Shell, which acquired Channel 5 for £103.5 million in 2010, put the broadcaster on the block earlier this year. Numerous media firms such as Kerry Stokes of Australia’s Network Seven, Viacom, BT and Time Warner were thought to be interested in a deal, but tCihe joint Sky-Discovery bid has been considered the frontrunner from an early stage.
Discovery hadn’t responded to a request for comment at press time, while Sky does not comment on what it described as “M&A speculation”.
ICYMI: Vodafone sees TV losses in Germany as competition bites digitaltveurope.com/2021/07/23/vod… https://t.co/K0O4Gs51fz
23 July 2021 @ 19:30:00 UTC
Samba TV launches global TV viewership dashboard digitaltveurope.com/2021/07/23/sam… https://t.co/uwKaADjWGL
23 July 2021 @ 18:30:00 UTC
Redbox turns to Wurl for Free Live TV expansion digitaltveurope.com/2021/07/23/red… https://t.co/RfRLUgLcZi
23 July 2021 @ 17:00:00 UTC
Freesat passes European IRS Certification Scheme for UHD receivers digitaltveurope.com/2021/07/23/fre… https://t.co/Q5gfVFOGOG
23 July 2021 @ 16:35:00 UTC